10 questions to help you live your purpose right where you are
I’m home. My boys (the little guy and husband) are off on a camping trip, and I’m sitting here at home instead. In perfect 5-year-old form, my little guy was so excited this morning he could hardly stand it. He came downstairs to a living room full of almost-ready-to-go piles - an empty cooler waiting to be loaded, duffel bags packed and zipped up, and of course the sunscreen (we all burn in record time around here).
His little body could hardly contain all his excitement. It was a bittersweet moment. I was full of happiness and sadness. Not sure which one overpowered the other. I just felt both. Glad they could go have fun. Glad they’d be mostly carefree without the girls (the baby and me… and wheelchair) to take care of. Glad they were following through on our family goal of making camping happen. But sad to be missing out on the fun. Sad that my health had gone downhill in just a few month’s time when we’d planned this family trip. Sad that I’d feel sick and yucky and that we’d all have a big price to pay if I went anyway.
That’s life though, isn’t it… for all of us. In between all the happy, near-perfection, purpose-filled moments there are the messy, ordinary, and ready-to-pull-out-your-hair ones. Despite the tender moments with our kids or when we feel completely content and put together, there are still dirty floors to vacuum, too many bills to pay, crippling (or not) health struggles, or grumpy kids.
We can declutter our closets, minimize our to do lists, and eliminate distractions, yet there are so many aspects of life that we have no control over. Days inevitably get filled to the brim with glad’s and sad’s. Hope and happiness, hustle and heartbreak. And plenty of days that are just “blah.”
Is it even possible to live life to the fullest right now, right where you are? Yep, I totally, completely, wholeheartedly think that it is. If you’re ready for meaningful living (overhauling your life not required!), here are 10 questions to take to heart.
Grab a notebook, a laptop or whatever’s handy (I won’t judge) and let’s dig deep. It’s time to live with purpose in the life you already have. It’s time to be who you already are. Today is full of possibility... whether you’re camping or at home :)
- Who makes my life happy and why?
- What’s on my to-do list that doesn’t need to be?
- What qualities and talents come effortlessly to me? What do people compliment me about or say they admire about me?
- What struggle have I most recently faced? What's a life lesson or insight I've gained from it?
- How did someone change my day for the better?
- How can I change someone else’s day for the better?
- What feels heavy and is weighing me down right now?
- What accomplishment am I most proud of right now? A garden or house project, a friendship, a new perspective, a yummy meal or dessert…
- What do I think about most on a daily basis?
- If there was one message I’d want my life to stand for, what would it be?